Suggest a News Article
Do you have a news article that you would like published on the website?Suggest news
Tips for healthy relationships in the New Year
Sun, 1st January 2012
As the New Year gets underway people have begun to think about their new years resolutions. To lose weight, to make money, to holiday more... the list goes on. But maybe it would be a good time to think about the relationships in your life; are there enough, and importantly, do they need a bit of attention?
If building on your personal relationships turns out to be something you want to achieve here are a few tips to think about:
- No single relationship will meet all your needs. Ensure you have a range of relationships that you can rely on
- Relationships need attention. No matter what type of relationship you share you need to spend time working on them - building stronger bonds or repairing problems when they arise
- Communication is one of the keys to a healthy relationship. Talking openly means you can enjoy the happy times together, while also understanding if someone is having a rough time. And communication can be in many forms, in person, by phone, email, facebook, whatever means works best for you
- Accept what you can not change. Sometimes you might need to 'agree to disagree', but that does not mean that you can not share other mutual interests together
- Have realistic expectations of each other. Knowing what you have to offer each other means you can focus on the strengths of your friendship - not what is lacking
- Offer support at challenging times and show appreciation of your relationship at other times
- Ask for help when you need it - offer it when you can
- Find a balance of time alone and time with others
- Don't rely on others to make you happy. Sharing positive relationships is an important part of your health and wellbeing but you are responsible for what you do and how you feel
Want to know more?
To help you find out more about relationships issues we have put together some relevant relationships links.
The holiday season is often a time when people reflect on their relationships; the good ones, the difficult ones and perhaps even the forgotten ones. When family come together for celebrations differences in opinion can reignite, the loss of someone dear can feel more intense, and or a sense of joy can be experienced as you have time to appreciate the strengths in the relationships you share.View News