Suggest a News Article
Do you have a news article that you would like published on the website?Suggest news
Shed TV - October 2012
Mon, 15th October 2012
Spring is in the air, and it's a great time to shrug off those winter blues and get outside. In our activity section, we feature Tom in the kitchen cooking up some Italian dishes and for all the 'D.I.Y.ers' out there, Maurie shows you how to replace glass in a window or door. There's plenty of new activities, film reviews, news, health info, discussions and much more to keep you busy this month. Check it out!
A little while ago we had iconic Australian TV actor Paul Cronin drop in to The Shed and chat to us. If you missed it, you can still watch it on our Shed TV interviews archive. Well, the big news is that Paul has come back to read the winning entries in our "Spin Us A Yarn" competition that was part of our recent membership drive.
We had so many great entries, it was really difficult to choose which ones to award prizes to. Listen to Paul Cronin's renditions of the yarns, and make sure you have a read of all the entries that were sent in. You'll find them on the "Spin Us A Yarn" discussion page.
As usual, we've got plenty of new activities here on The Shed Online to keep you occupied...
- Spaghetti Puttanesca: Watch the first in our new series of cooking videos. These ones all have an Italian flavour. Check out "La Cucina di Tom" - that's Tom's kitchen - for his special Spaghetti Puttanesca recipe.
- How to replace the glass in a window or door: A broken window can be a real "pane"... in the glass!... Take a look at our latest handyman video, where Maurie shows you how to replace the glass in a window or door.
- Volunteering: Have you ever considered giving some of your time to be a volunteer for a local organisation? We give you some tips about the types of opportunities that are available and how you can get involved.
Health focus - Anxiety
Our October health focus is the topic of anxiety, and we've uploaded lots of resources for you to check out. Learn about anxiety and how it can be managed by going to our health section.
- Anxiety: As part of our health focus for October, learn about how anxiety affects the lives of many Australians, and what can be done to manage it. You can also watch video material on the subject of anxiety, presented by beyondblue.
- Anxiety Q&A: Our Q&A this month is with an expert from Anxiety Recovery Centre Victoria. Post your questions about anxiety and look out for replies on the site next month.
- Depression Q&A: You can now read the replies to last month's questions on the subject of depression, courtesy of beyondblue.
From the blog
- Film reviews - "Strictly Ballroom" & "Gone With The Wind": In the blog, you'll find new film reviews for the Australian hit from 1992, Baz Luhrmann's "Strictly Ballroom", and the Hollywood Golden Oldie "Gone With The Wind". Re-aquaint yourself with these movies and then see what our reviewer has to say about them.
Discussions - Book club
- He Died With A Felafel In His Hand: One of our newer discussion topics is the book club. Last month we read He Died With A Felafel In His Hand, by Australian writer, John Birmingham. Read Jack's review, which is now up on the site. Then give us your perspective on the book by joining in with the discussion.
In preparation for next month's bookclub discussion, get your hands on a copy of the classic The Island Of Doctor Moreau by H.G.Wells. We'll be talking about that novel during November.
If you'd like to suggest a book for us all to read as part of our book club, whay not volunteer to be a host? Drop us a line at email@example.com, and introduce yourself.
I'll be back in a couple of weeks with more of what's new here on The Shed Online.
'Til next time Shedders.