Suggest a News Article
Do you have a news article that you would like published on the website?Suggest news
Shed TV - July 2012 - mid-month update
Tue, 31st July 2012
Try our brand new woodwork and cooking activities, and read some tips on keeping the winter blues at bay. Read new blog articles about preparing for tax time, sexuality and health and how depression impacts on relationships and take a look at the new carers video in the health and lifestyle section.
G'day Shedders. We've just put some new material up on the Shed Online – so here's the mid-month update for July.
- July book club: Our bookclub is up and running. We're reading “Catcher In The Rye”, by J.D. Salinger. Grab a copy and get reading, and join in on the Discussion that we'll be posting at the start of August.
- Changing a washer: We've got a whole lot of new do-it-yourself activities. Take a look at the first in the series with our handyman, Maurie. He shows us how to change a tap washer. Look out for more handyman activities in coming months.
- Bayside Men's Shed activity: Our friends at Bayside Men's Shed have got a hands-on activity for us. Have a look to see what they've been making in their shed.
- Men's Shed activities: If your Men's Shed has a project you'd like to showcase in our Activities section, send an email to email@example.com.
- Tips on keeping the winter blues at bay: While you are in the Activities section, have a look at our tips for keeping the winter blues at bay. There's lots of practical info there that can help make the season easier to deal with. If you've got a story to tell, or have suggestions for keeping your spirits up in winter, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll look at including it.
- Songs for getting through the blues: Got a song that peps you up when you're feeling a bit low? We're putting together a virtual “mixtape” of songs for keeping the blues away. Email us the name of the song and artist, and what you like about it, then look out for our Shed Online song playlist, coming soon.
- Couscous salad: And, try our recipe for this delicious cous-cous salad. This exotic grain is perfect for accompanying your next meat or fish dish.
Health and lifestyle
- Carers video: Our health and lifestyle focus this month is on caring for people with physical or mental illness, old-age, and other conditions. We've posted a new video which tells the story of Ron and his experience of caring for his wife with Alzheimer's. Courtesy of NSW Department of Family and Community Services, Ageing, Disability and Home Care.
From the Blog
- Film review - Fort Apache (1948): New in our blog - we've got a film review of the Western “Fort Apache" from 1948, starring John Wayne, John Ford and Henry Fonda.
- Tax tips: And on to finances - there's some tax tips in the blog, too. It's that time of year again. We've collected some useful info that will help you with your yearly trip to the taxman.
- Depression and relationships: In response to some of the Discussions shedders have been having on the site recently, we have a look at our new health blog article about “depression and relationships” This article offers insight about what's going on, and suggests some strategies for dealing with it.
- IT expert Q&A: In the discussions section, you'll find our ever-popular Q&A topics. Answers to your I.T questions from last month have now been posted. Thanks to the shedders that contributed solutions here, and read what our I.T expert had to say.
- Carers Q&A: Our current Q&A topic is “carers”. Send in your questions about being a carer, and our expert from Carers NSW will get back to you next month.