Carbon Day 1st July 2012 (part 1)

Reply to topic

Page 1 of 33

Topic: Carbon Day 1st July 2012 (part 1)

JohnnyD

292 Posts
Mon, 2nd July 2012, 1:05pm

Yesterday, July 1st 2012, was “Carbon Day. The federal government’s carbon tax was introduced to Australia & nearly 300 major atmospheric polluters were slapped with huge taxes. Taxes which they will pass on to consumers. Amongst the largest polluters are our coal burning electricity generators. They will pass on their taxes in the form of increased electricity charges to consumers.

Consumers will switch to cheaper electricity providers, or, like our households, install solar electricity generators where possible. Businesses will recoup their additional costs through passing them on to customers as increased charges. The government will use the taxes it collects from the major polluters to afford tax breaks & ‘family Assistance packages’ to low income families.

The opposition has tried to block the carbon tax passage through both houses of parliament & they failed. They are now broadcasting a message of doom & gloom to all Australians as to how the economy of this thriving country will be ruined.

Some rhetorical questions:

Can anyone tell me why the country will come to a standstill? Why will towns like Whyalla disappear from the landscape? Why will the cost of living rise so dramatically that life will not be the same as we knew it yesterday? Why will businesses close? Why will prices rise so much that we cannot afford to buy bread & milk?

Please, no answers sprouting the BS along party lines, just tell me why this will happen?

Reply:

JohnnyD

292 Posts
Mon, 2nd July 2012, 1:08pm

Carbon Day, 1st July 2012  (Part 2)

Well, It won't.  But a lot of people have a vested interest in making the general populous believe that it will. The bottom line however is that the whole purpose of pricing pollution is to make it more expensive.

This has two objectives:

1. Provide incentives to switch to & develop alternative sources of energy, which are currently not viable due to the cheap cost of carbon derived energy (and one of the reasons for this is that the costs due to pollution are pushed on to third parties).  In the longer term, the costs of these alternatives are likely to fall; in the short term they will be more expensive.

2. Provide incentives to change behaviours to reduce the actual need for energy full stop.  Longer term this is likely to improve Australian competitiveness as we find ways to produce more with less energy.

If the premium applied to the cost of pollution was set to zero, nothing would change.  If was set to (say) $100,000 a tonne, then it would indeed devastate the economy.  It is of course neither.  Time will tell if it is high enough to influence behaviour, & low enough not to devastate the economy.

Reply:

Gary Cooper

752 Posts
Mon, 2nd July 2012, 1:42pm

JohnnyD>

I'll leave the rhetorical questions to others to answer. All I know is that earth tremor the other week in Melb & Vic was surely caused by the Carbon Tax.

Carbon Tax, as an intro to an Emissions Trading Scheme, is all about putting Sustainable Living on every household agenda. (Of course, JohnnyD, I hope you realise you've kicked off the most hysterical party political discussion topic in e-Shed history !!!). Enjoy the ride.

Gary

Shed Online Community Champion

Reply:

JohnnyD

292 Posts
Mon, 2nd July 2012, 3:10pm

Gary Cooper - Look here, mate:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_UsYAneN32I/T_D0QkQpBiI/AAAAAAAAEzc/6q-le8TS6aQ/s640/Great+Big+New+Tax.jpg

smiley-smile.gif

Reply:

JohnnyD

292 Posts
Mon, 2nd July 2012, 3:12pm

Gary Cooper writes
--------------------------------------

JohnnyD>

I'll leave the rhetorical questions to others to answer. All I know is that earth tremor the other week in Melb & Vic was surely caused by the Carbon Tax.

Gary

Yeah!  The earth moved at Wyangala (NSW) also! But my missus just gave me that wide-eyed look, as usual!

Reply:

Gary Cooper

752 Posts
Mon, 2nd July 2012, 4:14pm

JohnnyD>

You said :

"Gary Cooper - Look here, mate:

"

I looked at the graphical figures and immediately found the paranoiac condition fading fast. Didn't even need a bex  and good lay down.

JD - I'm convinced you've offered all Shedders who've got CT Syndrome, a solution to a peaceful, sustainable lifetyle. No work choices. No worries Mate.

Gary

Shed Online Community Champion

Reply:

Fab

1,043 Posts
Mon, 2nd July 2012, 4:16pm

I seem to remember that a certain political party in years gone by was going to roll back the GST if elected.

Did that happen?

No government has ever removed a tax once it has been introduced that I know of.

I dont mind the carbon tax as I have gone solar and my taxable income has been reduced.

I can also not lodge a tax return if I earn under 18grand or nearbouts.and pay no tax.

Every self employed lawn mower man will now not pay tax and only declare 18g as income if asked.

The GSt didnt destroy the country and nor will the carbon tax.

Reply:

JohnnyD

292 Posts
Mon, 2nd July 2012, 4:51pm

Fab writes

I seem to remember that a certain political party in years gone by was going to roll back the GST if elected.

Did that happen?

No government has ever removed a tax once it has been introduced that I know of.

I dont mind the carbon tax as I have gone solar and my taxable income has been reduced.

I can also not lodge a tax return if I earn under 18grand or nearbouts.and pay no tax.

Every self employed lawn mower man will now not pay tax and only declare 18g as income if asked.

Well Fab, You are right .... if not for the right reasons! smiley-wink.gif

Reply:

JohnfromGC

18 Posts
Mon, 2nd July 2012, 8:46pm

A while back the Ozone Layer was disappearing.  So we all looked at the sky and it looked the same as  yesterday.  So the news impact of Ozone Layer holes faded away.

Today we are looking for a mysterious 'something' of 'Carbon' that will warm us all to distruction.  And to make sure we know it is real, and that it is important, we have a new tax.

And to make sure I change nothing to my lifestyle to assist the slow down of the 'Carbon' impact the Good Fairy is giving me $10.10 each week. 

So all sorted then.   Next  

Reply:

JohnnyD

292 Posts
Mon, 2nd July 2012, 9:59pm

JohnfromGC writes

A while back the Ozone Layer was disappearing.  So we all looked at the sky and it looked the same as  yesterday.  So the news impact of Ozone Layer holes faded away.

Today we are looking for a mysterious 'something' of 'Carbon' that will warm us all to distruction.  And to make sure we know it is real, and that it is important, we have a new tax.

And to make sure I change nothing to my lifestyle to assist the slow down of the 'Carbon' impact the Good Fairy is giving me $10.10 each week. 

So all sorted then.   Next  

John - don't go out in the noonday sun without a hat on!

Reply:

JohnnyD

292 Posts
Tue, 3rd July 2012, 9:20am

C-Day plus one still adds up

Read this article from The West Australian's Shane Wright.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/opinion/post/-/blog/14106252/c-day-plus-one-still-adds-up/

Reply:

twoandtwo

132 Posts
Tue, 3rd July 2012, 9:29am

If the Carbon Tax speeds up the intake and development of clean technologies, greener cities etc etc then it has done the majority of tis job. It's not all about fixing world climate change in one fell swoop like all the Alan Jones' of the world will like you to believe. There's thousands of ways we can get on top of this problem, not just national governments agreeing to put in place schemes. 

Reply:

JohnnyD

292 Posts
Tue, 3rd July 2012, 9:34am

twoandtwo writes

If the Carbon Tax speeds up the intake and development of clean technologies, greener cities etc etc then it has done the majority of tis job. It's not all about fixing world climate change in one fell swoop like all the Alan Jones' of the world will like you to believe. There's thousands of ways we can get on top of this problem, not just national governments agreeing to put in place schemes. 

Exactly! That is so right. Pity people keep putting their prejudices in the way of it!

Reply:

JohnnyD

292 Posts
Tue, 3rd July 2012, 12:32pm

{quote=The Canberra Times} Julia Gillard said it could take months before people realised the Coalition's fear mongering was baseless.

''This isn't about the polls. This is about what's right for Australia's future,'' she said.

''There has been a hysterical fear campaign from the doomsday merchants … People are in a position, from the start of carbon pricing and in the days ahead, to weigh the worth of those claims. I think we will see people in the months to come, working out what carbon pricing is meaning for them, and working out what it is meaning for the nation.''{/quote}

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/pm-counts-on-change-in-voters-view-of-tax-20120702-21do6.html#ixzz1zWTFxHt6

Reply:

costicaldad

339 Posts
Tue, 3rd July 2012, 6:47pm - updated - Tue, 3rd July 2012, 6:48pm

all i want to know is why dose jonnyd keep calling carbon ,pollution you jonnyd are a carbon based life form, there for you ,acording to you, are a form of pollution ,the facts are and all scientists will agree on this, droping the carbon in the air wont do anything to the climate ,its a tax that was never needed in the first place. 

Reply:

Fab

1,043 Posts
Tue, 3rd July 2012, 7:17pm

Funny how trees take carbon out of the air and bury it in the ground a coal

We dig it up, burn it, and put it back into the air.

Reply:

Singeon

230 Posts
Tue, 3rd July 2012, 7:28pm

Fab writes

Did that happen?

Are you suggesting "OUR" Tony is doing a "chicken Little" impersonation and telling us the sky is falling?

"Dr No" hasnt anything else to run with so .....look up and check his predictions...

Abbott is the Clown to Gillards Marionette...~a Greens Puppet~.

Never ever thought "Punch and Judy" could be a reality show on the ABC, eg... ~parliment time~

But after having "Abbott and Costello"....I'm not suprised...

My nest is this country...any arsehole who shits in it for his own benefit should pay...and find a way to stop doing it....so he keeps his profits. Great Idea.

Reply:

JohnnyD

292 Posts
Tue, 3rd July 2012, 8:05pm

costicaldad writes

all i want to know is why dose jonnyd keep calling carbon ,pollution you jonnyd are a carbon based life form, there for you ,acording to you, are a form of pollution ,the facts are and all scientists will agree on this, droping the carbon in the air wont do anything to the climate ,its a tax that was never needed in the first place. 

Costi - "Carbon" is used in the context of carbon pollution put into the atmosphere - e.g. by burning fossil fuel like coal - to produce electricity.

The idea is to get 'dirty industries', like electricity producers, to switch to cleaner production methods , eg. solar, tidal or wind generators.

Reply:

costicaldad

339 Posts
Tue, 3rd July 2012, 8:57pm

dont you get it ,it isnt pollution,it dosnt do anything but make things grow,there has been more carbon in the air than there is now and all that happened is it made things grow ,stop believing what the silly whacked out greens are trying to sell you ,it isnt pollution ,if it was 4 deg warmer we would be in the same temperate zone of a 1000 yrs ago and all was good back then ,more people die in the cold than they do in the summer.There is no such thing as dirty electricity ,once more your falling for bulldust sproocked by the greens

Reply:

100PercentRenewables

1 Post
Tue, 3rd July 2012, 10:57pm

The price on carbon is simply an investment in a clean, safe, secure energy future. Great joint project between Granville Men's Shed and climate think tank Beyond Zero Emissions.

http://parramatta-advertiser.whereilive.com.au/news/story/mens-shed-project-for-energy-education/

Reply:

costicaldad

339 Posts
Tue, 3rd July 2012, 11:12pm

an investment ,what tosh, most country's are now dropping their other clean energy sceams because there rubbish lots of money for no gain only the gullibal are still believing.

Page 1 of 33