Hydroponic gardening

Reply to topic

Topic: Hydroponic gardening

AllanJP

2 Posts
Mon, 30th September 2013, 8:50pm

Hi,

While I was googliing for some information about setting up a hydroponic ched I came across the Shed topics and someone was asking about a hydroponic nutrient mix. I've followed a few of the hydroponic links on the Shed site but they seem to go off track or end up with something other than hydroponics. In the mid nineties I spent a few years running a hydroponic tomato farm and would be happy to provide the details to those who would like to have a go at their own nutrient mixes.

In the meatime, I was thinking about setting up a small shed in my backyard. It's not easy to find some of the gear that I used to use so I guess it will be a bit of a learning curve to start a small scale garden in the backyard. Things such as the plastic film that we used for the shed roofs. I'll takea  trip to a hydroponic shop on the weekend.

Other things that I have done in the past include jewellery (I still have my bench set up), computer training (that's a non-stop learning curve) and soft furnishings - not every body's cup of tea but it kept me out of trouble for around 18 years.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or plans about building a hydroponic shed from scratch I would be keen to see them. It's only going to be about 3.5 X 2.5 metres. The plans are to grow tomatoes, lettuce, carrots and and some other green vegies.

Thanks for any help that anyone can  provide.

Allan

Reply:

artwombat

1,688 Posts
Mon, 30th September 2013, 9:26pm

Star pickets and poly pipe is the easiest frame.  Drive the pickets into the ground at the base of each frame end then push poly pipe over one end then arch it over to the other picket.  Or for a lighter frame use steel bar instead of pickets.

Once you have the basic frame then you can cover it with chook wire and brace it up how you see fit.

Reply:

AllanJP

2 Posts
Tue, 1st October 2013, 5:55pm

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. I have previously used the poly pipe system and it worked well but my son has supplied me with some steel posts that are 100mm square so it appears that the frame will be substantial enough to build an extremely sturdy shed. My thoughts are that I will have one side about three metres high and the other about two metres high to gain the maximum heating effect during winter.

The roof will also require a layer of shade cloth for summer and will also most likely require large vents to let the hot air out in summer also. Hopefully I won';t have to put vacumm fans in but I will have to wait to see about that.

Some photos af any exisiting small hydro sheds would be appreciated.

Allan