CARAVAN RESTORATION

Reply to topic

Topic: CARAVAN RESTORATION

hunter90

1 Post
Wed, 30th January 2013, 11:45am

Hi,

I was recently given for my 21st birthday an old 1940's-50's bondwood caravan. After proper inspection I have come to the conclusion that I need a hand with restoration. After some advice I was directed to here.  

I'm looking for anyone who's woodwork enthusiast and is interested in helping out. I am situated in richmond melbourne and Willing to compensate for time. 

cheers,

Hunter.  

Attachments:

photo.jpg   photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg

Reply:

nod

403 Posts
Wed, 30th January 2013, 1:30pm

Cool old van and I see you have a VW for a tow vehicle, I'm a bit far away being in Newcastle but maybe I could talk you through some of it, first thing would be to strip the exterior one panel at a time, keep the panel you strip in tact as best you can to use as a template, that will enable you to see what the frame is like and what thickness ply you need to replace the panel with.

Reply:

Fab

1,046 Posts
Wed, 30th January 2013, 5:33pm - updated - Wed, 30th January 2013, 5:36pm

Caravans are great to renovate, I had a Millard 1974 parked at Breamlea Caravan Park for 12 years.

Covered all the inside walls and aluminium annex with bamboo floor to ceiling and made it look like it was in Bali.

Fish lure timber glorybox and surfboard and handmade distressed painted furniture.

Was the family's beach hut. 

Great fun and great mates best 5g I ever spent.

Reply:

Fab

1,046 Posts
Wed, 30th January 2013, 5:43pm

Should also mention that council park rules said that no outdoor furniture was to be left outside the vans.

I made a BBQ cover out of ply that was painted like a electric piano with white keys.

There were no rules about piano's left outside and the council inspector loved it and let me keep it outside.

Reply:

artwombat

1,687 Posts
Wed, 30th January 2013, 6:44pm

My brother way back stripped one to restore it but found to his dismay, that there was not anything that you could strip it back to.

I think tho that you could take lots of photos and strip out things like windows and cupboard doors that can be re-used or used as patterns for new ones.

One way they make the new ones is inside out then sheet the outside with aluminium sheeting.

But I think they made the old ply ones outside in and that is why he could not recover the frame.

Essentially you could cut out the sides in ply to the pattern you already have. Then you glue "frame" sectons onto the inside of the ply sides to stiffen it . Then you stand them up tempoarily braced and bend ply in the egg shape up the front over the top and down the back. When you have fixed it to the floor you can cut in your windows and line it and add the cupboards and beds etc to stiffen it up as a box.

That is all I can offer.

Cheers Col

Reply:

nod

403 Posts
Fri, 1st February 2013, 5:08pm

yep, as I recall the couple I've done repairs on had timber frames which rotted out as soon as water got to them (20 x 20 meranti / pacific maple, big worry to do from the inside as all the cupboards etc had to come out. smiley-frown.gif