Neighbours Cat

Reply to topic

Page 1 of 2

Topic: Neighbours Cat

Fab

1,046 Posts
Sun, 2nd December 2012, 11:00am

Does anyone know how to stop a neighbourhood cat from jumping over our front white rendered fence?

I have to wash it's dirty paw prints off the paintwork about twice a week.

The fence is 1800mm high so I dont know why it would bother coming this way to get to the rear properties. It has to jump this high on each side.

I have tried pebble stones on the top of the fence, moth balls, stones on the paving below the fence but nothing stops it from coming through our property to its destination elsewhere.

It does it in the early hours of the morning and I have seen it once come past our bedroom window about 3am, mature ginger cat.

Apart from getting a dog, is there any solution to this problem?

Reply:

Graham 59

62 Posts
Sun, 2nd December 2012, 12:14pm

FAB check out this website www.derwenttraders.com.au

Attachments:

catstop55.jpg

Reply:

artwombat

1,687 Posts
Sun, 2nd December 2012, 2:22pm

mmm It sounds like you have good fences.  I wonder what you could keep on your side of the fence that the cat might not like.

If you make a box with a drop down sliding door, you can hold the door up with a pin.

Pull the pin when the cat is inside and you have a cat in the box.

To pull the pin you mount a Rat trap on the top of the box and connect the rat trap whacker to the pin with cord.

When the rat trap goes off the whacker pulls the string and the string pulls the pin and the door drops down.

Now you want bait in the box connected to the rat trap bait trigger by cord or fishing line via a hole in the top of the box.

Cat comes in - grabs bait - rat trap triggers - pulls pin - door drops down - cat locked in box.

Make cat into Davey Crocket hat or deliver cat to owner suggesting cat cage/runs are a good idea.

Cheers Col

Reply:

Peter Malyon

150 Posts
Sun, 2nd December 2012, 5:00pm

If you mount a piece of dowel between 2 brackets so it will spin freely then mount that as near as possible to the edge of the fence on the neighbours side. When the moggy jumps up he puts paws on the roller which turns dumping him back on his side. eventually he will find a new way round.

The other thing is why is it going to the rear properties, is someone there putting food out for it or it it chasing tail?

Peter

Negotiating another of lifes speed bumps

Reply:

Fab

1,046 Posts
Sun, 2nd December 2012, 5:17pm

Thanks Guys.

That website Graham, gave me an idea.

I will buy  motion sensor spray disinfectants and mount it on the top of the fence in his favourite jumping spots.

As well as giving him a shock, he will smell like a toilet and reduce his chance of mating somewhat.

Reply:

Fab

1,046 Posts
Sun, 2nd December 2012, 5:23pm

Just thought, hope it does'nt spray the postman as well. 

Reply:

Manxman

25 Posts
Sun, 2nd December 2012, 9:55pm

FAB,

Borrow a cat trap, then teach it to swim in a wheelie bin . Neighbours cats make good hats!

Manx.

Reply:

Pomshedder40

1 Post
Mon, 3rd December 2012, 11:58am

Hi, FAB!

A solution all the way from Pommie Land!

It seems cats are the same all over the world! No darned respect!

I don't suppose, in your climate, you have easy access to that delightful strip used here in great quantities, for gripping fitted carpets when stretched to fit tight up against skirtings. The thing you'll love is that it's a plywood strip, about 1 1/4" wide, chock full of vicious s/steel spikes and prefitted with compo tacks or thin masonry pins. I suppose rusting nails or screws may be a consideration.

Purpose-made semi-rigid plastic versions for cat discouragement are sold over here at a silly price but they are UV resistant.

My sense of anti-moggy humour overcomes me now - how about an arrangement of white, pvc-u semi-rigid  conduit pipe, loosely mounted near the top of the fence, with a stiffer metal or wooden curtain rod on brackets through it, so when old Tom tries to get a grip on it, it just turns under his weight and he falls off? Any photos of said event, gratefully received!

All depends on how inventive you are, young man!

Good luck!

Nigel in Milton Keynes UK

nigelp@meninshedsmk.org.uk

NigelP

Reply:

braddo51

12 Posts
Mon, 3rd December 2012, 12:20pm

Maybe try sprinkling some cayenne pepper or chilli powder near and/or on the fence? I used to sprinkle some around the veggie patch to keep the cats away and it seemed to do the trick.

Reply:

Fab

1,046 Posts
Mon, 3rd December 2012, 12:24pm

I tried wood with nails in it but cat is very nimble and managed to secure a paw space between.

Thought of razorwire but wife said it will look like a detention centre and stop being so anal.

Was back here this morning again, so routine is now pick up paper from footpath and wipe down the fence inside and out.

Reply:

Fab

1,046 Posts
Mon, 3rd December 2012, 12:27pm

Chillie powder, might give that a go.

Thanks Braddo 51.

Will report back if that works.

Reply:

Fab

1,046 Posts
Mon, 10th December 2012, 8:23am

I dont think its a cat after all.

The imprint from the chilli powder coloured paw prints shows the claws on the thing are about 20mm long.

Might be a possum?

Been back twice since the chilli powder, Friday night and Saturday night.

Reply:

robbo3

20 Posts
Fri, 28th June 2013, 11:16am

hire a possum trap from the council.

Reply:

tomaso

67 Posts
Thu, 4th July 2013, 7:57am

Good Moring to FAB and All participants!!

Let me see......what shade of white is fence?  Let's suppose it is the typical "white caucasian" (British Paint Code 124A59) .  If the ownwer of the cat is of italian descent,send him the recipe of " Roasted cat with sliced melanzane and Parmigiano". The other alternative is to organise 24 hours time table of FP (Fence Patrols). This will help the WHOLE family to keep fit and usefully employ the free time from Shedonline!

Cheers!

Tomaso

Reply:

Singeon

230 Posts
Fri, 5th July 2013, 7:01pm

ever heard of a slug gun?...

Nuff said.

Reply:

Singeon

230 Posts
Fri, 5th July 2013, 7:03pm

and if the comment about lead propelled by high pressure gas at 3am ever gets past the moderators...

you will have your answer.

Reply:

Olerip

2 Posts
Fri, 5th July 2013, 7:53pm

Appropriate animal traps can be purchased from some rural stores & alternatively some councils loan them out & even handle the caged feral animal.

Reply:

Hman

21 Posts
Sun, 7th July 2013, 11:37am

A little bit of lead behind the left ear will stop them but honestly mix up some aspros in milk and leave it out for him it will make him very sleepy

Reply:

wines65

1,819 Posts
Sun, 7th July 2013, 11:53am

Hi Fab,

I think that if I lived in a suburb where it was frowned upon to have a cat or possum leave its prints on the front fence and to actually consider all these recommendations to stop this from happening, I would consider moving to another suburb where such marks on the fence did not upset the neighbours. 

We have suburbs up here where that sort of thing is not considered a problem. Much user-friendlier neighbourhoods. I have in fact driven through your kind of neighbourhood with those white 10 foot fences and gates and have never seen one single person.

You are not doing too bad if that is your biggest worry.

Bob

wines65ofMargate(Ex Silentio)smiley-cool.gif

Reply:

tomaso

67 Posts
Sun, 7th July 2013, 1:26pm

I REALLY enjoy to be (finally!!) a selfunded senior member of the ShedOnline Retirement Village!! It is so mentally  challenging reading and "interpreting" the content of the posts!!!

Finally, the age of Perennial Contentment has arrived!! ShedOnline is the Retirement Village away from the....Retirement Village!!

Tomaso

PS.I am not so sure if I have written what I wanted to write...I am so confused by the contents of the posts!!! It seems that, very soon, instead of watching TV, we will be forced to read the ShedOnline posts....this should send US to sleep pretty fast!! Ehi YOU Wine65,leave my good friend FAB alone!! He is a good boy!!

Reply:

Fab

1,046 Posts
Sun, 7th July 2013, 4:34pm

There was a massive cat fight on my front lawn at night a few weeks ago and lots of cat paw marks on the fences next day.

No marks since,seems a Marshall cat arrived and drove Duran-go out of town,can only hope its for good.

The ducks havent come back either thanks to a few sling shot marble direct hits to their arses.

Fab is finally calming nature this neck of the woods.

Page 1 of 2